I’ve been really, truly enjoying the time I’ve had to myself the past few weeks. I find a sort of alone-ness when I’m travelling that is hard to find when my usual haunts are so readily within reach and I’ve relished it all the more as spring come rushing in. There’s is a nearly sinful deliciousness to a book, a cup of tea, a sleepy dog and a sunny lawn chair strewn about me in a sunny backyard.
Things that have happened during my blog-cation (more detailed posts to follow):
1. Presenting my original research project ‘Ethnomusicology of Appalachia’ at the Alaskan Anthropological Association’s Annual Meeting in Fairbanks, AK
2. Kundalini SuperHealth Professional Training at the Ashram de Guru ram Das in Espanola, NM accompanied by a whole heap of new friends and dancing my booty off in at least three different languages…
3. Holing up at my cousins’ wonderful, woodsy house for three weeks while I packed, got rid of (even more) stuff, took care of Sophie (still healing from knee surgery), suffered mild social unrest over common misunderstandings and post-adolescent melodrama, ate a lot of Annie’s macaroni and cheese, and had not enough but absolutely wonderful cousin time.
4. Sophie and I flew to Seattle with two backpacks, one roll-along suitcase, a guitar, a dog kennel and our badass attitudes. Much eating, singing, recording, dancing, walking by the river, friend-making and hugging ensued (and continues to for a couple more weeks).
5. I received a UA Foundation scholarship for next school year (yay! Thank you!), as well as a few tuition waivers, and registered for fall classes in my new BLA program.
6. I decided to forgoe posting the last several installations of my “National Poetry Month” pursuits. I did write them, but they because increasingly personal, and/or were songs you don’t get to hear until production is finished, and so you’ll just have to take it on faith that I didn’t completely bail on the project, but rather opted out of the immediate sharing. Always more poetry and music to come, though, no doubt.
I’ll post in more detail about all this craziness soon. Just wanted you to know that I hadn’t forgotten about you and I dearly appreciate every view, comment, and kind thought that comes my way these days.